Staying with John and Hannah Cox--1852

by Chris Densmore

The John and Hannah Cox home, just west of the Longwood Fire Station on Baltimore Pike, was a refuge for fugitive slaves and a stopping place for visiting abolitionists.  William Lloyd Garrison, editor of The Liberator, was there in 1852 and described his stay as "three of the pleasantest days of our earthly existence.... For many years, their hospitality has been proverbial, alike to the fugitive slave and the anti-slavery lecturer.  For their great kindness and unwearied attention during our visit we owe them much."  Garrison also enjoyed the hospitality of Chandler and Hannah Darlington "at whose house we were introduced to a large and intelligent circle of friends....  That occasion constituted an oasis in the journey of life."  Hospitality is a Kennett Square area tradition.

© 2019 The Kennett Underground Railroad Center (KURC)  |  Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy